I posted Chicken Pot Pie as a Thurday meal over at the February Guide to Caring for Children, it's down at the bottom of the MENU page on Thursday. This is delicious with cranberry sauce or a side salad of braised winter greens with roasted beets and dried cranberries.
This is a simple recipe with five basic steps. Each step can be prepared ahead of time. If you go big with the chicken stock on Monday, use a whole chicken and freeze the extra, you will have stock for this dish too.
- Make the crust and chill it.
- Prepare a white sauce
- Saute the meat and vegetables
Flour, white, unbleached, unbromated 1 1/2 cups
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
1/4 cup ice water
Rich chicken stock, 1 quart
1/2 cup flour, unbleached, unbromated
! cup milk
1/3 cup cream
Chicken breast, 2 1/2 pounds
Carrots, 3 large cut in rounds
2 large or 3 medium Potatoes
1 cup Peas
Onion, 2 medium
Garlic 3-4 cloves, to taste
sage leaves, 2
2 Tablespoons water
- Crust: Set up a little water with some ice cubes or stick in freezer to chill. In food processor, process flour, salt, butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Tiny chunks of butter in the flour makes a flaky crust. Add the ice water and process until the dough comes away from the side, it happens quickly so be attentive, do not form a ball. Put the dough on a lightly floured sheet of wax paper, flatten and refridgerate.
- White sauce: heat chicken broth to boiling, add two sage leaves, on separate burner, in separate pan, melt five tablespoons of butter in small saucepan, whick in 1/2 cup of flour, continue whisking until smooth. Add the stock, milk and cream.
- Filling: Cut the chicken into good size, bite size pieces. Heat saute pan, drizzle olive oil and small nob of butter, let melt, add onion, garlic, chicken and thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper, saute. Remove from pan, lightly saute potatoes, carrots, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary to taste, add peas at very end.
- Crust: Put meat and vegetable mixture in a large baking dish and allow to cool. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the crust to about one to one and a half inches greater than the top of the baking dish. Put crust on top and pich around the edges to form a decorative edge. Cut hole in center for stem to escape. Make small slits too. Design if you wish.
- Make the egg wash, whisk egg and water togther, lightly brush on top of crust.
- Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly on top.
This is my adaptation of a recipe in the Dean and Deluca Cookbook.