Thursday, February 25, 2010

Baking Day~Lemon Ginger Muffins


Thursday is baking day in the Morning Garden. We make buns of maple, oat and spelt. In September, I use molasses instead of maple syrup and in the summer, I use honey. Here's a favorite recipe from Annie Somerville's Fields of Greens cookbook. The recipe in Field of Greens is adapted from Marion Cunninham's, The Breakfast Book. They are quick and easy to put together with a scrumptious lemonyness and snap from the ginger. I think they're perfect and make no adaptation to the recipe.

For 8 muffins
Preheat oven 375 degrees F

1 cup unbleached white flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
7 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
zest of 2 lemons, minced

Mix the flour salt and baking soda together.
Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
Add the egg to the butter and sugar, beat until smooth.
Add the buttermilk and mix until blended.
Be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl.
Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
Stir in the grated ginger and lemon zest.

Spoon the batter into the muffin tins so that each cup is three-quarters full.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the muffins are set inside and turn golden.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a delicious, fluffy muffin. I look forward to trying the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! My first comment on Scrumptious Smidgeon! It's really thrilling. Thank you El!

    These muffins are really good. I often sprinkle a wee smidge of sugar in the butter when I grease the muffin tins, maple sugar can lend almost a crunch. I'd love to hear how you like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound wonderful! I can't wait to give the recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just made these with a slight variation, if you are interested. I used kaffir lime leaf instead of lemon zest, and added blueberries and walnuts! I used your text to copy to my flickr. I hope this is ok. http://www.flickr.com/photos/larsonfamily/5405674943/

    ReplyDelete